Week 4: Audiolingual method vs Silent Way
Good to see you back!
I hope you had good time during this short vocation. ☺
Let me tell you about the topic we studied before vacation.
We learned about two contrasting teaching methods. The first is the Audiolingual Method, which is teacher-led and based on a behaviorist approach. Quite the opposite is the Silent Way, which originated with Noam Chomsky's ideas, challenging some of the principles of the Audiolingual Method. He stated that language learning is a process in which students discover the rules of the new language and are responsible for their own learning process. Through the Silent Way Method, the cognitive and psychological aspects of language learning and teaching are emphasized.
The Silent Way Method has the purpose of developing autonomy in students, so the teacher becomes a facilitator of the learning process instead of making students too dependent on teachers. For this reason, students are encouraged to participate actively in the learning process through problem-solving and discovery activities. Errors in this method aren't perceived as negative but rather as an opportunity to gain knowledge.
Every method has its disadvantages, and the Silent Way Method is no exception. This method can be time-consuming since it requires specialized resources and training in its tools and techniques. For students, this method can also be frustrating due to the lack of direct instructions. As with every learning method, it may not suit all learning styles.
Now, let me tell a little bit of my vacation.
I went to CEDART with some friends from school. We spent time painting clay cups and catching up, since we study in different universities.
Mine is the purple one. As you can see, art is not my forte. 😅
I also went to Lago de Coatepeque, where I jumped from a lakeside deck. I jumped without thinking too much about how high it was, but while I was jumping, I experienced a sinking feeling in my stomach. Even though it felt horrible, I jumped a second time. 😊
For this week, I will share a fun fact (not so fun, but scary)
Did you know that in the 18th century, chainsaws were invented to cut through bone during difficult childbirth? It wasn't until the beginning of the 20th century that chainsaws were used for cutting wood.

Comentarios
Publicar un comentario